Google Now Hands Free Driving
Google Now allows use of voice commands to do just about anything you need to with your phone. Everyone knows dangers that exist from texting and driving, but many people find it hard to set their phone down for that short drive home from work.
Notes & Reminders
Many people are always using their phone to constantly enter something in their to-do list or schedule before they forget. Reduce the dangers of accidents by using Now with Google Now. This is especially useful if you phone has Google Calendar is synced. You can say commands such as:
- “Set an alarm for 5PM”, or if you want on recurring “Set an alarm every Wednesday morning for 7AM.”
- Specific reminders can be sent to you, such as “Remind me to stop at Sue’s 3PM tomorrow” or “Remind me to grab milk at Ralph’s 4PM today.”
- Use your Google Calendar to create an event by saying, “Create a calendar event for a Doctor appointment in NYC, Tuesday at 3PM.”
Saves notes to yourself, “Note to self: Pay light bill Friday.”
First time using the command Google Now needs to be told which to-do or note-taking apps you want used.
Communication on Phone
Instead of using a dial pad, just say, “Call Tom”, Google Now looks the name up in your list of contacts and dials for you.
If sending SMS messages, just say, “Text Tom that I will meet him at 6PM for drinks”, and after receiving a confirmation “yes” for the correct name, Google Now sends it along.
Navigation, Travel, Maps
One of the most common needs when driving around is finding how to get where you are going. Just ask Google Now something like, “Direction to Grand Central Station” and you will see directions on the screen from Google Maps. To have turn-by-turn directions, just hit Start button.
You can receive other information aside from directions:
- Say “How far is NYC, New York from Rochester, New York” to learn how long it takes to drive from NYC to Rochester.
- Ask to see map of location, “Map of NYC, New York.”
- Ask “Where is nearest gas station?” or coffee shop, restaurant or other type of business.
Find out Information
Have you ever been driving along with a friend when the two of you come into a debate? Let Google Now settle your debate! Just say, “OK Google” to your phone, and ask your question when you hear a beep. No need to look at your phone, Google now reads it aloud and gives it visually.
This is just the beginning of what you can do hands free with Google Now!